Urban Renewal Task Force
Task Force Responsibilities:
To consider development possibilities within the Urban Renewal Area that could realistically be translated into meaningful project; then prioritize, budget, refine and establish specific proposed projects approved by the Urban Renewal Agency. The Task Force will serve in an advisory role to Urban Renewal Staff, consultants and community volunteers in the completion of plans, projects and actions approved by the Urban Renewal Agency.
Initial Areas of Responsibility:
Area 1: Develop a downtown revitalization project in support of the identified priorities for downtown by Sutherlin Downtown Development presented below:
- A "Back to the Future" theme both in terms of possible design and also finding a way to have something that shows where we've come from.
- Eating establishments for both morning and evening.
- Brew Pub of some sort.
- Entertainment/attraction venue such as a movie theater, bowling alley or other indoor activities.
- Family and sports play area such as T-ball, softball, baseball, soccer fields, etc.
- Multiple shopping options.
- Parking with immediate shopping venues nearby.
- Make sure hours of operation extend into weekend and evenings.
- Keep it clean and presentable.
- Electric car charging.
- Signs from freeway to downtown.
- Clean up Central blighted areas.
Area 3: consider the critical debilitating elements of economic growth along Central Avenue from downtown to I-5 and establish a series of responsive projects that would stimulate economic investment or improve the livability of our community using urban renewal resources.
Specific Response Actions:
- Regional Tourism Conference/Interpretive Center
- Exit #136 intermediate transportation improvements to stimulate investment into this area and thus, eradicate blight.